What is OCPP service?
OCPP (Open Charge Point Protocol) is a communication protocol used to remotely manage EV charging stations. It allows for real-time monitoring and control of charging stations, and enables the integration of charging stations with other systems, such as billing and energy management (solar) systems.
The advent of electric vehicles (EVs) has brought about a new era in sustainable transportation. However, the widespread adoption of EVs has also created a pressing need for efficient and accessible charging solutions. This is where the Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) comes in. In this article, we will discuss what OCPP is and its benefits to the end users.
What is OCPP?
OCPP is an open, standardised communication protocol that connects electric vehicle charging stations to a central management system. It allows for real-time monitoring and control of the charging process, enabling efficient and streamlined management of charging infrastructure. The protocol provides a unified interface for the exchange of information between the charging station and the central management system, allowing for seamless integration with other systems.
Benefits to end-users:
- Convenience: OCPP provides end-users with a seamless and hassle-free charging experience. The protocol ensures that charging stations are always operational and available for use, and users can easily track the status of their charging session from their smartphone or other connected device.
- Accessibility: OCPP enables the development of a large and accessible charging network, making it easier for EV owners to find charging stations near them. The protocol also supports inter-operator roaming, allowing users to charge their vehicles at any OCPP-enabled station, regardless of the operator.
- Affordability: OCPP provides charging station operators with the tools to optimize their energy use, reduce energy waste, and ultimately lower charging costs for end-users. This is especially important for long-distance travel, where charging costs can quickly add up.
- Increased Charging Speed: OCPP enables the use of smart charging algorithms, which can dynamically adjust the charging rate based on real-time electricity grid conditions. This means that charging can be completed faster, saving time for the end-user.
- Improved Charging Safety: OCPP provides real-time monitoring and control of the charging process, ensuring that the charging station operates within safe and specified limits. This helps to prevent damage to the charging station and the vehicle, ensuring a safe and reliable charging experience for end-users.
As the world moves towards a more sustainable future, the adoption of EVs will continue to grow. OCPP is a crucial step in the development of a comprehensive and accessible charging infrastructure that will support this growth. If you’re an EV owner or charging station operator, make sure to choose OCPP-enabled charging solutions for a safe, convenient, and affordable charging experience.
Some of the models are available in either a Smart Version or an OCPP version, each having the same model number. To be able to use the OCPP service, you must explicitly order the OCPP version. The smart version does not support OCPP.
You can check our article to see whether your model is compatible with OCPP:
Charge HQ support:
Yes. Optional CT Clamp
Maximum Home Load Control:
Yes – Option
Maximum charging speed:
Single phase: 7kW, 3 phase: 22kW
Type 2 Connector, Type 2 Socket
Charge HQ compatibility
The following models are compatible with Charge HQ
- BCP-A2N-L OCPP Version (Single phase, tethered)
- BCP-B2N-L OCPP Version (Single phase, socket)
- BCP-AT2N-L OCPP Version (3 phase, tethered)
- BCP-BT2N-L OCPP Version (3 phase, socket)
IMPORTANT: As we understand, each of the above models is available in either a Smart Version or an OCPP version, each having the same model number. You must explicitly order the OCPP version. The smart version does not support OCPP.
The following models do not support OCPP so it is not possible to use them with Charge HQ:
- BCP-A1-L, BCP-A2-L, BCP-B1-L, BCP-B2-L (1 phase, non-smart)
- BCP-A1D-L, BCP-A2D-L, BCP-B1D-L, BCP-B2D-L (1 phase, non-smart, DLB)
- BCP-A1S-L, BCP-A2S-L, BCP-B1S-L, BCP-B2S-L (1 phase, smart, no OCPP)
- BCP-A1N-L, BCP-B1N-L (1 phase, smart, no RFID)
DLB / Solar Hardware Kit
The supported models can include an optional (Dynamic Load Balancing) DLB / Solar hardware kit, which allows the charger to perform basic solar charging. This option requires the installation of additional hardware in your meter box (a control box and some CT clamps). If you are planning to use a ZJ Beny charger with Charge HQ, you do not need this additional hardware.
The DLB kit can be used to manage maximum demand for electricity in a home. The DLB kit can be used in parallel with Charge HQ for this purpose. In such cases the maximum rate of charge will be set to the lower of the charge rate set by the DLB kit OR Charge HQ.
- ZJ Beny AC charger models which support OCPP do not appear to provide a smart phone App that can be used to directly control the charger. All control most be via an OCPP service such as Charge HQ.
Otherwise, If you are still not sure about whether your model supports OCPP, please Contact us :- ReGen Charging install.
EV Charger Installation For Residential & Commercial
Purchase your EV Charger today, and let our expert team manage your installation！We provide experienced design, installation and maintenance of EV Charger for both residential and business users, compliant with Australian standards and regulations.
*note charging station does not include installation cost.